Due to annual ARRL Field Day falling on our normal meeting day, we will meet on Saturday 29 June 2019!
Please take note of this change and support your local club in its Field Day efforts!
If you are an OT Op like many of us, you have fond memories of your first Field Day portable operation. If my memory is correct, mine was as a new novice in 1963 or 64 in Windfall, IN. I had a great time with the big guys learning to speed log and copy code at faster speeds than I was used to hearing. Once home, I kept hearing CW in my head for the next few days. What a blast! That brought together my love of the outdoors and ham radio in a way that I still enjoy.
If you enjoy being in the outdoors and playing radio, we welcome you to join the fun! We normally meet on the 4th Saturday of the month with the exception of June. Here is our routine…
- 0730 ET we meet at the Cracker Barrel in Sanford, FL for show n tell and breakfast.
- 0900 ET we should be setting up our rigs at Sylvan Lake Park and Picnic Area A which is lakeside, tall trees, deer, birds of all kinds, pavilions and rest room facilities.
- 1200 ET depending on band conditions and weather we’re headed home for lunch, naps and honey-do projects
We have a great mix of regular attendees:
- EE’s EET’s and tech wanna-be’s that know how to build from scratch or fix your ailing gear – they’ll be sure to tell ya what you need to know
- Antenna experimenters who are trying to find the best way to make QRP contacts despite propagation challenges
- Hang ’em high or NVIS setups
- Quick up or takes 5 of us to get things to work
You just never know who or what is going to happen, but it is always fun and we learn something each time we gather. Time’s awastin’
Kelly K4UPG for the Central FL QRP Group
No dues, officers, membership or rules – just fun!